Are you lost in the bewildering complementary medicine maze?
Most cancer patients presenting to us have been influenced by nutritional myths that actually caused them harm. For example – alkaline water, molasses & bicarbonate of soda, excessive raw greens, juices, alkalising powders & extreme diets.
The following video exposes the myths of alkaline water & alkaline foods in relation to cancer.
Clarifying the term complementary medicine.
My work in supportive care cancer medicine includes…
- complementary medicines
- complementary therapies
- complementary care protocols – practical care – e.g. using face mask and handy wipes when in public while on chemotherapy – or having an anti-slip bath mat or plastic chair in shower if unsteady at times after treatments
Few practitioners differentiate between the three categories but with my decades of experience I believe it is necessary. Thus the services I offer patients extends beyond supplements, herbs &, dietary regimes – it’s a bigger picture.
Herb – drug, food -drug and other interactions: Our animation conveys complex subjects in a simple format.
My complementary services:
- Complementary medicines – supplements, herbal & botanical remedies, nutritional medicine and more
- Complementary therapies – acupuncture, Reiki, massage, aromatherapy, music therapy and more
- Complementary care – strategies for navigating the cancer maze, strategies to reduce neuropathy, strategies to reduce pain during chemotherapy, keeping an accurate medical record book to reduce misdiagnosis and enhance accurate diagnosis, strategies for living well during treatment, strategies for keeping your spirit and your humanity alive during treatments and many more.
Now let’s first discuss complementary medicines:
The Good News: The skilled use of ‘targeted’ complementary medicines in conjunction with orthodox medical treatment can greatly enhance your recovery from cancer.
Many studies indicate complementary medicines can reduce side effects, enhance efficacy of conventional treatments, improve your sense of well-being & improve your emotional state.
Sounds like you’d be wise to employ complementary medicines to support your recovery from cancer
However – It’s Not so Simple – In fact it’s very Specialised!
Fragmented, Uncoordinated, (non-collaborative ) use of complementary medicines can cause problems that range from…
2. hinder or undo your orthodox medical treatment
3. worst case scenario; cause you great harm or hasten death – (See Supplements can cause Cancer)
Targeted complementary medicines are potentially powerful if certain ‘criteria’ are met…
- Success requires considerable expertise.
- Success requires skilled management – short & long term.
- Success requires collaboration between the complementary practitioner & oncology team.
- Success requires constant monitoring via appropriate medical tests, bloods, genomics, scans & more – to ensure the complementary medicines stay properly targeted. (it’s not enough to ‘believe’ or ‘intuit’ that a certain supplement is assisting your cancer recovery – you need scientific proof) (we have seen 1000s of examples of when a patient’s intuition has been very wrong.
And the truth is…
Many supplements, herbs, including (TCM) Traditional Chinese Medicine & others used by cancer patients are of low quality. Contaminants and adulterants are found in many supplements & TCM.
See Australian Study
While excellent products exist – these are in the top 5% of the range. They will not be cheap! Quality products are NEVER cheap but you must know how to discern between good & bad. Beware of product made in countries like China or India where regulations are lax.
- Does your naturopath/integrated doctor communicate with your oncology team
- Is there full disclosure and open communication between you, the naturopath, and all the other practitioners involved in your healing?
- Do they have expertise in the field of herb drug interactions, supplement drug interactions, and other interactions listed above and below?
- If they are advising you on food or supplements to help your cancer recovery, they should have skill in these fields – Pharmacognosy, Pharmacodynamics, Pharmacokinetics – Ask them – Few will know these fields – Beware
Your complementary practitioner must understand & be skilled in…
- Herb/Drug Interactions
- Supplement drug interactions
- Diet/Drug Interactions
- Cleanse or ‘De-Tox/Drug Interactions
- Consequences and complications from excessive raw green juices and drug interactions
- Dangers of over juicing
- Toxicity from over supplementation
Please get in touch to discuss your health restoration plan
The following discussion may help you make informed decisions at a time when Dr Google is most misleading.
Rational Thinking = Making Informed Decisions:
The purpose of this page is to help you make informed decisions about the use of complementary medicines to assist your health restoration.
In Cancer Recovery Critical thinking is a Survival Skill!
In 4 decades working with cancer patients, we are increasingly seeing the negative impact when patients make emotionally (or ideologically) based decisions
Definition for Complementary Medicine:
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word ‘complementary’ as, “that which completes or makes perfect, or that which when added completes a whole.”
In other words, although modern medical science struggles to help patients get better, complementary medicine helps patients to feel better and, perhaps, by feeling better, the act of healing itself may be complemented.
The following video made by Dr Paul Willis for the Australian Science Channel highlights what we been observing for several decades – since the rise of the internet.
Patients choosing alternative treatments or complementary one that interfere with their medical treatments
(Also see our page Supplements can cause Cancer)