The Grace Gawler Institute (GGI) is a not for profit Health Promotion Charity with DGR ( deductible gift recipient ) Status.
GGI is registered with the ACNC (Australian Charities & Not for Profits Comission) and abide by their governance. For our in-house governance click here
As a dedicated cancer charity we operate efficiently – with low overheads & high volume outreach – serving national & international cancer communities.
Our services are very unique. Everything we do is underpinned by extensive research – a 15-20/hr/week commitment. Click here
Thanks to our donors and sponsors we are able to provide a range of boutiques services at affordable costs to patients.
Some are provided free of charge.
We also provide free educational services including the following…
- Informative Podcasts for patients & doctors – Navigating the Cancer Maze Australia
- Brain Cancer without Borders
- Prostate Mates
- Blogs and Social Media
- Survivor Retreats
- Support for cancer patients and families
Longevity of the GGI:
We are well aware of the need to train future cancer navigators ensuring the longevity of the Institute. We have a 2-year & 5-year business plan, beginning 2017, which includes…
- Re-establishing the College of Supportive Care Medicine (originally founded in 2004). The College will train retired or interested health professionals, for example nurses & other para-medicals to work with cancer patients following the navigation model established by the GGI.
- Recognising the need to extend services we plan to establish a branch in Southern Australia.
- A new service dedicated to brain cancer patients will be established by May 2017. Brain Cancer without Borders is a subsidiary of the GGI and will share an ABN. The same DGR Status will apply to this new entity
Donations over $2.00 are tax deductible and support our many services.
An independent charity we do not receive any Government support, remaining independent & therefore able to provide patients with unbiased information.
As advocates, we act on behalf of patients. Our services are provided with dedication and compassion along with expertise that can only come from many decades of experience.
When you make a donation a special DGR receipt is issued and sent by mail or email.
We sincerely thank you for choosing our charity for your donation.
Pip (Philip), Grace and Jeff
Directors – The Grace Gawler Institute
Brain Cancer without Borders is a new initiative of the Grace Gawler Institute. If you would like to dedicate your donation to this initiative please let us know. For more information about fundraising and how to make a donation please click here
History: Over 35 years ago, our institute’s founder, Grace Gawler, a pioneer working with breast cancer patients, instigated the first breast Cancer support groups.
The resultant publicity saw research funding flow to breast cancer – which now enjoys a 90% survival rate.
The Institute is once again pioneering support for brain cancer patients. We believe the low (20%) survival rate, like breast cancer, can be vastly improved.
The following brain cancer data information shows the need for our new service…
- Brain Cancer kills more Australians under 40 than any other cancer.
- Advances have not kept pace with other cancers.
- Survival Prognosis is poor.
- Brain Cancer kills more children than any other disease.
- Yet 90% of Australians are unaware of this fact.
- 90% of children survive leukemia – 90% survive breast cancer.
- Only 20% survive brain cancer