Dangers associated with Supplement Intake
Compiled by the Grace Gawler Institute for the safety & well-being of cancer patients – 2016
For many decades, Grace Gawler, founder of the Grace Gawler Institute, has been warning patients of dangers associated with their herbal & nutritional supplements.
With 35 years’ experience in botanical medicine and research pertaining to cancer, Grace endorses the articles below.
Grace says, “The assumption that ‘Natural’ supplements are superior or even safe is misguided. Secondly there is no ‘one size fits all’ in curing cancer – all treatments, including supplements must be individualised. Above all they must be coordinated with medical cancer treatments.
AND YET – We do not know of any naturopaths or integrative GPs who coordinate/collaborate with oncology teams (apart from us)
This is so crucial and yet it is not done.
Why? One reason is that few if any naturopaths or integrative GPs understand or value the potential interactions – herb/drug, drug/drug, supplement/drug, supplement/supplement interactons to mention a few. This is the study of pharmacodynamics, pharmacodynamics, pharmacognasy and pharmacogenomics. Of not pharmacogenomics is the study of how genes are impacted by supplements etc. It reveals permanent damage can be cause by such regimes. See here and here and here
It is tragic that at least 90% of my new patients have harmed their health or impeded/prevented their cancer medicines from working. In 4+ decades with cancer patients, I’ve seen 1000s of examples consistent with the articles below. Many of them say – “I wish I found you sooner.”
- LATE-stage cancer patients could be thwarting their own treatment by taking multi-vitamin pills containing antioxidants, the Nobel Prize-winning scientist James Watson has warned. In a new paper, he claims that the reason late-stage cancers often become untreatable is that they produce high levels of antioxidants which stop treatments such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy from working. http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/vitamins-can-harm-cancer-patients-scientist-20130109-2cgrc.html
- ABC’s Four Corners – PBS Frontline investigation – exploring the complex issues surrounding supplements in North America. It’s an eye-opening report that details a web of lobbying and legislation designed to protect the industry, but which ultimately leaves consumers at risk. https://theconversation.com/supplements-are-an-expensive-and-potentially-toxic-lucky-dip-59249
- Curtin University, Murdoch University, University of Adelaide used sensitive analytical techniques to screen a set of traditional Chinese medicines available in Australia. Nearly nine in ten of these medicines had some form of undeclared substance in them as either adulteration or contamination. Sixteen of TCM’s had more than one contaminant or adulterant. https://theconversation.com/whats-in-your-herbal-medicines-52144
- Using a test called DNA barcoding, (genetic fingerprinting), Canadian researchers tested 44 bottles of popular supplements. They found that many were not what they claimed to be, and that pills labelled as popular herbs were often diluted — or replaced entirely — by cheap fillers like soybean, wheat and rice. The research provides more evidence that the herbal supplement industry is riddled with questionable practices.
- Herbal products available to consumers in the marketplace may be contaminated or substituted with alternative plant species and fillers that are not listed on the labels. According to the World Health Organization, the adulteration of herbal products is a threat to consumer safety. http://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1741-7015-11-222
- Dietary supplements, over-the-counter multivitamins, do “more harm than good” and can increase the risk of developing cancer & heart disease, according to research in the US. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/21/vitamin-supplements-increase-risk-cancer-heart-disease-research
- Men have been warned not to take a pair of popular vitamin and mineral supplements after research showed they can dramatically increase the risk of life-threatening prostate cancer. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/22/vitamin-supplements-raise-risk-cancer-men
More information about the dangers associated with the use of supplements
Copyright – the Grace Gawler Institute 2016