Grace Gawler – celebrating 45 years of cancer service…
Creating New Paradigms in Cancer Care…
Australia & NZ Pioneer of Patient Advocacy & Cancer Navigator for rare cancers
Helping patients navigate the Complex Cancer Maze…
Helping patients access state-of-the-art cancer treatments overseas…
Grace Gawler’s Cancer Service Milestones
- Aged just 21, Grace became sole carer of a critically ill cancer patient (1974) who survived against the odds. (Still alive July 2019)
- Co-founded the Melbourne Cancer Support Group (1980) and The Gawler Foundation – Yarra Valley Living Centre -Yarra Junction Victoria (1985)
- 1980’s established as a pioneer in the field of supportive care cancer medicine, patient advocacy & navigation, CAM & cancer.
- Graduate of Dorothy Hall College at distinction level in a broad range of natural therapies. (1979-86)
- Four children born 1978 – 1984 – busy years!
- Created gender specific support groups and residential courses for women with cancer and breast cancer – an Australia first. The Cancer Council later copied these support group models.
- First book published 1994 Women of Silence – reprinted UK 2003. Also printed in Dutch
- Invited to be a member of the Ministerial Advisory Committee for Women’s Health Victorian Government Complementary Medicine (1996-9). Committee was chaired by Dame Margaret Georgina Constance Guilfoyle, AC, DBE a former Australian politician who served as a Senator for Victoria from 1971 to 1987, representing the Liberal Party.
- New Zealand 1994/5 – promotes and leads first residential programs for women with cancer & breast cancer – Auckland
- In 1996 – leaves Gawler Foundation – unhappy with it’s ethics & changing direction. Founds specific ‘safe’ practice for women- Ellimatta Women’s Health.
- In 1998 – receives the inaugural Rotary International Jean Harris Award for services to Women’s Health–South Pacific Region
- Regular media presentations Australia – national radio, television – Denise Channel 7, and popular print media interviews including The Bulletin, Who Weekly, Women’s Weekly, Woman’s Day, Nature & Health etc…
- After surgical mishap Grace undergoes experimental bionic surgery in The Netherlands (2003) – A FIRST for her condition; caused by a routine surgical procedure gone awry in 1997.
- Holland 2003 – promotes & leads first residential programs for women with breast cancer
- 2002-2003 BBC radio interviews throughout the UK including Libby Purves – BBC London (4 million listeners).
- Works with London and Hereford Haven Trusts – Keynote Speaker, workshop presenter, The Helen Rollason HEAL trust- Chelmsford Essex – Keynote Speaker, workshops presenter, Bristol Cancer Help Centre (now the Penny Brohn Centre) Keynotes, workshops.
- GEM (Grace Energy Method) founded 2005 – named and supported by Dr Ilana Rubenfeld USA (RSM TM)
- Settled in Brisbane 2004 – founded The Australian College of Supportive Care Medicine (2005) and MASTERCLASS – an innovative course for health professionals – Training practitioners in Supportive Care Medicine.
- Cared for over 18,000 people affected by cancer during a 45-year career span.
- Created In8potential for promoting Wellness and encouraging people to find their innate spark – Focus – Using lessons learned from illness to promote wellness.
- Member of and writer for Spa Asia and many other journals.
- Presents Keynotes & Workshops at major Health Summits, Introduces her GEM approach to the global Spa industry.
- On advisory board of The International journal “Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice” – published online (Elsevier Science Direct) and in print
- Articles published The British Medical Associations “Holistic Health” Journal.
- In 2005, assisted the Reiki Professional Standards Team with compiling a training module: Providing Services for People with a Life Challenging Illness (module HLTCOM509A). The module has now been included as an elective in a number of qualifications included in the Health Training Package for use nationally.
- In 2008, became Patron for Reiki Australia.
- 2010 Published in Medical Journal of Australia and reviewed in Australian Doctor
- 2010; Established The Grace Gawler Institute for Integrated Cancer Solutions, Hope Island, Qld – A health promotion charity for expanding her cancer patient services & male emotional health services with her partner Pip Cornall
- Converts her books to eBook format for worldwide publication
- Invited to host her own American Internet radio show called Navigating the Cancer Maze. After 2.5 years Grace and Pip created their own pod cast website, ‘Navigating the Cancer Maze Australia,’ where Grace as host, interviews with leading researchers and clinical oncologists along with inspiring patients stories and more.
- In 2012, Grace and Pip were invited to lead medical tours to an innovative private oncology clinic in Germany. After three years leading leading these tours they resigned in 2014. Reason: Despite some good methodologies; the clinic consistently failed to meet the standards requested by Grace and Pip. Grace continues to refer UK patients to some of the better conventional cancer specialists in Germany.
- In 2014, Grace re-establishes her medical practice on the Gold Coast, working in conjunction with a specialist GP.
- In 2016 the specialist GP retired. By this time Grace and Pip were collaborating with leading oncologists in neighbouring Asia where cutting-edge treatments were accessible for our patients that were not available in Australia & NZ.
- By mid-2016, it is apparent that the new Grace Gawler Institute initiatives (including Asia treatments) have helped many patients achieve Optimal Health Restoration Outcomes – outcomes nothing short of exceptional. These included patients with rare or difficult cancers and others with stage IV cancer who had previously been told they were palliative.
- Grace & Pip married in July 2016
- September 2016 – established new service – Brain Cancer without Borders – a service working with an alliance of leading brain cancer doctors – nationally & internationally.
- December 2017 – The Grace Gawler Institute & the Genomic Era. For years Grace had employed the services of an American based genomic diagnostic testing group, considered world leaders in this new science. Since 2014, the Institute has engaged the services of an world-certified Australian based genomic diagnostic and screening testing pathology laboratory service.The tests have enabled patients to access targeted (sometimes off label treatments) via our global oncology networks. Grace’s 45 years’ experience, and her close collaboration with clinics of excellence in Asia, especially Singapore, Taiwan and Japan, has enabled outstanding outcomes for many of our patients; both in life extension and quality of life – outcomes beyond normal clinical expectations.
- June 2018 – Grace’s global alliance of leading cancer specialists continues to grow enabling us to be more effective at finding viable treatment options for those told there is nothing more we can do. Our testimonial page speaks for itself. See – 18 Stage 4 cancer patient recoveries using cancer vaccines, hyperthermia & other hi-tech cancer treatments
- Sept 2018 – Name change: The Grace Gawler Institute for Integrated Cancer solutions becomes The Grace Gawler Institute for Cancer Survivorship and Research.
The name change to include ‘survivorship,’ reflects the large number of our late stage cancer patients who survived & thrived despite their poor prognosis. Not only did they extend their lives; many experienced increased wellness & quality of life.As a group, most of them had exhausted treatment options in Australia (& NZ). Why so many exceptional late stage survivors? Their exceptional outcomes result from Grace’s skilled management including priority referrals for hi-tech treatments via doctors in our global medical alliance – leading doctors from USA, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore & more.The ‘research’ inclusion in our new name indicates our enthusiasm to conduct research into these successful late stage ‘survivorships’ and make our findings available to the general public.
- Jan 2019 – After months of sophisticated medical dialogues and high level Australian Govt diplomatic assistance, Grace achieves acceptance for a brain cancer patient (without options) into the world’s most advanced treatment for brain cancer – BNCT.
- March 2019 – Grace and Pip are sponsored to visit Singapore and Taiwan. We toured collegiate hospitals in Singapore and witnessed a BNCT brain Cancer procedure in Taiwan. We also met the producers and scientists of functional foods suitable to be used in conjunction with cancer treatments to improve quality of life and well-being for cancer patients.
- Oct 2019 – Grace accrues 45 years of cancer service.