Grace Gawler – celebrating 43 years of cancer service…
Creating New Paradigms in Cancer Care…
Cancer Navigator and Patient Advocate…
Helping patients access the Complex Cancer Maze…
Helping patients access state-of-the-art cancer treatments overseas…
Grace Gawler’s Cancer Service Milestones
- Sole carer of a critically ill cancer patient who survived against the odds. (Still alive Dec 2017)
- Co – founded The Melbourne Cancer Support Group (1980) and The Gawler Foundation – Yarra Valley Living Centre -Yarra Junction Victoria (1985)
- Established as a pioneer in the field of supportive care, CAM and cancer.
- Graduate of Dorothy Hall College at distinction level in a broad range of natural therapies. (1979-86)
- Four children born 1978 – 1984 – busy years!
- Created gender specific support groups and residential courses for women with cancer and breast cancer – and Australia first.
- First book published 1994 Women of Silence reprinted UK 2003. Also printed in Dutch
- Invited to be a member of the Ministerial Advisory Committee for Women’s Health Victorian government complementary medicine 1999)
- Holland – promotes & leads first residential programs for women with breast cancer
- New Zealand – promotes and leads first residential programs for women with cancer & breast cancer – Auckland
- In 1996 – leaves Gawler Foundation – founds specific ‘safe’ practice for women- Ellimatta Women’s Health.
- In 1998 – receives the inaugural Rotary International Jean Harris Award for services to Women’s Health–South Pacific Region
- Regular media presentations Australia – National radio, television – Denise Channel 7, and popular print media interviews including The Bulletin, Who weekly, Women’s Weekly, Woman’s Day, Nature & Health etc…
- After surgical mishap Grace undergoes experimental bionic surgery in The Netherlands (2003) – A FIRST for her condition; originally a result of a routine surgical procedure gone awry in 1997.
- 2002-2003 BBC radio interviews throughout the UK including Libby Purves – BBC London (4 million listeners).
- Works with London and Hereford Haven Trusts – KEYNOTE SPEAKER, workshop presenter, The Helen Rollason HEAL trust- Chelmsford ESSEX – KEYNOTE SPEAKER, workshops presenter, Bristol Cancer Help Centre (now the Penny Brohn Centre) KEYNOTES, workshops.
- GEM (Grace Energy Method) founded 2005 – named and supported by Dr Ilana Rubenfeld USA (RSM TM)
- Settled in Brisbane 2004 – founded The Australian College of Supportive Care Medicine (2005) and MASTERCLASS – an innovative course for health professionals – Training practitioners in Supportive Care Medicine.
- Cared for over 17,000 people affected by cancer during a 40-year career span.
- Created In8 potential for promoting Wellness and encouraging people to find their innate spark – Key focus – Use lessons learned from illness to promote wellness.
- Member of and writer for Spa Asia and many other journals.
- Presents Keynotes & Workshops at major Health Summits, Introduces Her GEM approach to the global Spa industry.
- On advisory board of The International journal “Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice”
- Published on Elsevier Science Direct
- Articles published The British Medical Associations “Holistic Health” Journal.
- In 2005, assisted the Reiki Professional Standards Team with compiling a training module: Providing Services for People with a Life Challenging Illness (module HLTCOM509A). The module has now been included as an elective in a number of qualifications included in the Health Training Package for use nationally.
- In 2008, became patron for Reiki Australia.
- 2010 Published in Medical Journal of Australia and reviewed in Australian Doctor
- 2010 – Established The Grace Gawler Institute for Integrated Cancer solutions – Hope Island, Qld –A health promotion charity for expanding her cancer patient services and male emotional health with her partner Pip CornallCornall
- Converts her books to eBook format for worldwide publication
- Invited to host her own American Internet radio show called Navigating the Cancer Maze. After 2.5 years Grace and Pip created their own pod cast website, ‘Navigating the Cancer Maze Australia,’ where Grace as host, interviews with leading researchers and clinical oncologists along with inspiring patients stories and more.
- In 2012, Grace and Pip were invited to lead medical Tours to an innovative private oncology clinic in Germany. After three years leading medical Tours to Germany, they resigned from this position in 2014 because the clinic was consistently failing to meet the standards requested by Grace and Pip. Grace continues to refer UK patients to some of the exceptional conventional cancer specialists in Germany, when their hospitals were unable to help them anymore.
- In 2014, Grace re-establishes her medical practice on the Gold Coast, working in conjunction with a specialist GP.
- In 2016 the specialist GP retired but by this time Grace and Pip were collaborating with many leading oncologists in neighbouring Asia (along with Australia) where many cutting-edge treatments were accessible for our patients.
- By mid-2016, it is apparent that the new Grace Gawler Institute initiatives have helped many patients achieve Optimal Health Restoration Outcomes. Many of the results have been nothing short of exceptional. These included patients with rare or difficult cancers and others with stage IV cancer who had previously been told they were palliative.
- Grace and Pip married in July 2016
- September 2016 – established new service – Brain Cancer without Borders – a service working with an alliance of leading brain cancer doctors – nationally and internationally.
- December 2017 – The Grace Gawler Institute and the genomic era.
For many years Grace had employed the services of an American based genomic diagnostic testing group.Since 2014, the Grace Gawler Institute has engaged the services of an world certified Australian based genomic diagnostic and screening testing pathology laboratory service, which has enabled patients to access targeted (sometimes off label treatments) via our collaborating oncologists.
These services, in combination with Grace’s 43 years’ experience, and our collaboration with clinics of excellence in Asia, especially Singapore and Japan, has enabled outstanding outcomes for many of our patients; both in life extension and quality of life – outcomes beyond clinical expectations.
VIEW GRACES’ MILESTONES IN PDF FORMAT
Use the + buttons to expand Grace’s Cancer Service Milestones PDF below
Use the up or down arrows to change pagesGrace Gawler Cancer Service Milestones DEC 2017