The choice - embrace genomic based nutritional science or succumb to internet marketing hype:
GENOMIC TESTS ELIMINATE GOOGLE GUESSWORK:
Your personalised cancer nutrition plan can now be scientifically designed, measured & monitored. The new methods surpasse one size fits all internet ideologies or trial & error guesswork. Science can determine fact from fake nutritional opinion.
Since the recent mapping of the human genome, genomic science has developed an effective tool for detecting the nutritional plan that works for you. This is science-based cancer nutrition based on your unique genetic blueprint.
This intelligent approach has worked wonders for our patients.
MARKETING HYPE: Fake cancer-cure claims dominate the internet. Aggressive marketing from the supplement industry, (worth $150 Billion), drives sales.
Slick marketing influences the public, naturopaths & even integrative GPs, who often prescribe dangerous combinations of supplements to cancer patients willing to try anything.
ALARMINGLY – 99% of patients coming to us had been poorly/dangerously ‘prescribed’ supplements as above.
Research Paper – dangerous combinations: Supplement use during chemotherapy in patients with ovarian cancer.
Some ingestible complementary medicine supplements, including herbal remedies, teas & vitamin C, have biological activities that make them likely to interact poorly with conventional chemotherapeutic treatments.
In the interest of your successful recovery from cancer, we suggest you insist your practitioners follow a valid scientific approach to prescribing supplements. Otherwise run away fast.
To be able to evaluate your practitioner’s response we encourage you to read SCIENTIFIC articles on supplementation, extreme diets & cancer fads. Do not be guided by your wishful thinking. See more about herb-drug interactions below…
Genomic tests now reveal outcomes when where complex cancer drugs mix with excessive supplementation. Thus; ‘cancer’ naturopaths need to have a sound knowledge of the emerging fields listed below. (sadly few do)
Another related problem arises when patients do not disclose their supplements or dietary regimes to their oncologists who may mistake supplement-drug interactions as symptoms caused by the cancer or the treatments…. (sadly few do)
Below: Some of the new sciences that help us accurately prescribe botanicals and nutritionals to can enhance your cancer treatments, reduce side effects and boost immune system.
- Pharmacognosy – study of medicinal drugs from plants & nature
- Pharmacodynamics – how medical drugs & supplements react in the body
- Pharmacokinetics – how the body effects medical drugs or supplements
- Pharmacogenomics – how genes affect a person’s response to medical drugs- how the person metabolises medicines & supplements
- EpiGenetics – the study of changes in organisms caused by modification of gene expression rather than alteration of the genetic code itself – often related to diet or nutrition.
- Metabolomics – the scientific study of chemical processes involving metabolites
- Gut microbiota or Gut Biome or gastrointestinal microbiota, is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans.
- Functional Foods – a food given an additional function (often one related to health-promotion or disease prevention) by adding new ingredients or more of existing ingredients – of great potential to cancer patients.
These fields take into consideration complex interactions like these below…
- herb-drug interactions
- supplement-drug interactions
- herb-herb interactions
- drug-drug interactions,
- food or diet-drug interactions
- physical therapy interactions
- E.G. how coffee enemas interact with the above.
- E.G. grapefruit, pomegranate, and other foods interact badly with many medicines.
If supplements are problematic for all but the experienced science-based nutritionist, what can the average cancer patient do to improve their health and well-being while undergoing medical treatments?
By embracing the new fields of genomics, pharmacogenomics, biogenics, epigenetics, metabolomics, ect, I can prescribe nutritionals & botanicals with more accuracy than ever.
CANCER NUTRITIONALS – (see more at Personalised Cancer Nutrition):
For my cancer patients I prescribe simply-formulated safe nutritionals. These are functional foods, not supplements. They are often more appropriate than probiotics or prebiotics. They will value add to well-being and life quality. The aim is to change the epigenetic landscape of various tissues in the body.
Example 1. A potent Japanese nutritional product (a functional food) based on shiitake mushroom mycelium can impact the immune system within the colon. One sachet taken three times daily – impacts the landscape of your colon lining, the bacteria who live there and thus, your immune system.
NOTE: Approximately 60% of your immune system is located in and around your colon. Importantly, since it is a nutritional, (not a supplement) simple yet powerful; it will not impact pharmaceutical drugs – including important cancer treatments. It’s what we call a value add.
Example 2. Another Japanese nutritional (a functional food) is a targeted product; a microbiome that impacts the health of bacteria that live in the colon. Once again the product is aimed at changing the epigenetic landscape in the colon; e.g. if the patient has colonic polyps or even colon cancer; the nutritional product is aimed at restoring damaged tissue so that it is functional once again.